The design of stock handling facilities is critical when maximising operation productivity and cost-effectiveness.
Well-designed stock yards will make your livestock operation more profitable for the following reasons:
- Less labour is required to efficiently handle stock
- Good yards encourage timely husbandry
- Facilitate systems to effectively weigh, treat and draft stock to allow management and processing for specific markets
- Less stress and bruising on stock
This is why it’s important to get your yards right the first time.
ProWay’s site assessment and design service can help. ProWay design, manufacture and construct over 300 sets of stock yards each year. Our designers have experienced the same issues you must work through.
One of ProWay’s experienced stock yard designers can travel to your site, measure and assess the site, and discuss your requirements.
When on site, the designers:
- Measure up existing features to be incorporated into the design such as wool sheds, trees, existing fence lines, water troughs, sprinklers, dips etc
- Assess the slope of the site
- Discuss stock movement to and from the yard
- Consider vehicle access and loading
- Discuss your stock handling requirements and your operation
- Draw up a stock yard design for you based on the above information and our experience
Areas we cover in your site assessment and design are:
- Using natural stock flow principles to make stock handling stress free for the operator and animal
- Safety issue for operators
- Weighing options, positioning of scales, crate, weigh box or hanging crush-drafting after scales
- Which scales best suit your operation
- EID requirements
- Loading options
- Positioning of yards to maximise use of slope
- Roofing over yards incorporating existing or planning new shedding positioning of posts
- Classing or stock-classing boxes
- Handling race length
- Calf marking
- Which crush best suits your operation
- Areas for contractors, scanning, dipping, lamb marking etc
- Future expansion
ProWay draw up your new yards with accurate CAD software, showing dimensions and holding capabilities, race lengths and how they incorporate existing features.
We can calculate concrete quantities and provide advice on drainage and preparing the site for your new yards.
Your design will be suited specifically to your operation.